[alt-photo] Re: platinum never a dull moment

Clay Harmon Website clayh at clayharmon.com
Thu Jun 10 03:03:29 GMT 2010

I have gold toned both platinum and palladium prints using the formula that Dick Sullivan has on his website. It uses gold chloride and sodium formate, I think. The toning has to be stopped by immersion in an alkaline bath of old film or paper developer.

I got some interesting results. As long as I had over 25% platinum, I got a nice coolish purple toned print. The Dmax increased as well.

When I toned pure palladium prints, I got a very reddish, almost mahogany colored tone. I did not find the pure palladium prints to be very attractive.

It was one of those toning sequences that demands close attention to the print. If you let it go too far, the toner would start staining the paper. Kinda of tricky, but interesting. I keep it my bag of tricks if for some reason I need a cool toned platinum print. But a gumover layer is easier to control, and can get you to the same place without the gold.