[alt-photo] Re: another new gum...

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 14 03:34:54 GMT 2010

Hi Keith,

Yes, could be a difference in monitors, but I suspect we simply have
an aesthetic difference-- with this particular image.

I feel bad talking about Paul and his prints, as though he's somewhere
in the room listening, but not allowed to respond-- but my point,
really, was that I think it could be stronger with printing it
differently (and without introducing muddiness or a "cloying"
quality).  In fact, as it stands, the bottom part of the image--
though not dark or rich-- looks muddy to me now.

I like the subject matter, and even though I like the way the sky is
rendered,  the rest just seems to be lacking somehow..  Maybe Marek
clarified it by saying that, overall, the image has a cyan cast to
it.  That's what it looks like to me, too.  I couldn't determine what
it was, except that everything seemed to look the same to me-- There
wasn't that wonderful richness and definition of colors and tones that
were so evident in the first prints posted.  Not that every print has
to be the same, but this just seem much less "accomplished" to me.

How one chooses to print-- in whatever process-- should, of course,
have to satisfy no one but the image-maker.  But this reminds me of
students I sometimes have, who will show just amazing work-- with a
real eye for what makes a compelling image-- and not only that, they
know how to print-- and I have to wonder what they're doing in my
class in the first place.  Then these same students will turn around
the next week-- and show work that makes it hard to believe it's
coming from the same set of eyes.  My usual response is, "What in the
hell were you thinking with this?"  (Though I  typically say that in a
much nicer way.)

So I stand by my comment that, print-wise, this just isn't nearly as
accomplished or as strong as Paul's earlier prints he posted-- at
least, from my viewpoint (and how it appears on my screen).  Not
everything has to be the same, obviously-- but, for me, it's hard to
believe the same person who made this, also made those others.

The good news, Paul, is that people are so taken with your images,
that you're getting responses and some actual dialogue about them.  I
hope you'll post more.  :)

Diana