[alt-photo] Re: Tri-Color Starter Colors: Gum and Caesin

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 21 20:50:50 GMT 2010

This is for gum only.

A classical "primary set" suggested by Bruce MacEvoy on his web site is PV19, quinacridone rose, thalo blue and PY97 (hansa yellow medium), the names are Daniel Smith brand, which is what I use. I have certainly used this triad and it works fine producing rather vivid color combinations. Now, the yellow is somewhat opaque, so llikely best if applied first. It will somewhat dull the cyan layer if applied second. There is a number of very transparent yellows that work well and I have tested them, PY110 (can't remember what Daniel Smith calls this one) and PY150 (nickel azo yellow). The last one is a very intense yellow.

Prussian blue is a definite possibility as well.  It is intense and transparent. It seems to give a more natural looking greens then thalo blue

I have used the colours  that Diana mentioned, but not exactly in her combination.

A very large number of combinations of CYM pigments will work and will give you somewhat shifted colour of final print.

I have tubes of W&N and Daler Rowney watercolurs and have used them as well. They work fine. I just stick with Daniel Smith as they are very consistent and offer the widest range of colours.

Marek