[alt-photo] Re: another new gum...

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Tue Jun 22 14:20:44 GMT 2010

Hi Paul,
I've been busy and preoccupied with another project and I see I never
got around to commenting in this thread as I meant to, so hope you
don't mind a belated addition to the thread.

Looking through your gum prints on flickr while this thread was in
progress,  I was struck by the sense of exploration and joy in gum
printing.  I can relate to that, since my gum printing career has
been characterized by exploration, by using gum to serve many
different purposes, and of appreciation of the myriad aesthetic goals
that can be achieved in gum.   Some of those purposes and goals can
be seen by looking through the gallery on my site, which shows some
of the many different ways I've used gum to achieve a particular end.

It's been my experience that some photographers don't  appreciate the
more painterly and printmaking uses of gum, and see anything that
diverges from a very narrow idea of what a "photograph" should look
like as "bad" or "wrong."   This is not meant to characterize anyone
commenting in this thread particularly,  I'm simply reflecting back
on critical, even contemptuous and derogatory, comments that have
been made about my own work.

I'm sure I've told the story before of a helpful person who wrote to
tell me there must be something wrong with my calibration, because
some of the images in my site gallery looked "right" and some didn't
have "enough contrast."  I smiled, wrote back and said that's the way
it's supposed to be.  For several years in the early "oughts" I was
experimenting with high-key, low-contrast printing, for reasons both
conceptual and technical.  I won't bother trying to explain the
conceptual reasons at the moment, but technically I was interested in
the problem of generating  smooth tonal gradations in the palest
tones.   That work was criticized on the list, was even referred in a
backhanded way as "crap," which goes  a little beyond constructive
criticism,  but the comment made no particular impression on me
because the comment simply showed that the person didn't understand
what I was doing and didn't know what he was talking about.  Although
after four or five years I moved back toward printing with more
contrast again, I make no apologies for that body of work, and in
fact consider some of it my best work; others must have agreed,
because it was a series made during that period that was purchased
for  a collection that includes Jasper Johns, Robert Motherwell,
Elizabeth Rothenberg and other leading  20th century printmakers.  I
say that, not to toot my own horn particularly, but just as a way of
encouraging you to follow your own mind and heart.  You have taken
wonderfully to gum and are making it your own, and as you continue
your practice, experimenting with different effects, you will find
that you have the ability to make gum do anything you want it to do.
This is a rare ability; cherish it.

With best regards,
Katharine