[alt-photo] Re: cyanotype and brushes?

Earl and Patty Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 22:08:28 GMT 2010

Why do you say the glass rod is a bust? I have always gotten my best coating of any low-viscocity alt process sensitizer with a glass rod. I found a surplus store that sells 60 inch lengths of half inch diameter solid glass rods, and I have made many different lengths. I tape the sheets to glass, and then use a baby syringe to put down a bead of the right amount, and I get very uniform results 99 times out of a hundred. I learned the technique from reading Mike Ware's website, and I don't know if I still follow it to the letter. In any case, it didn't take me long to get the hang of it.

My other favorite method is the Jack Richeson 9010 Signature Series brush, which moves the sensitizer around most delicately and uniformly, and does not soak up more than a miniscule amount.

Earl Johnson