[alt-photo] dichromate stain

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Mar 2 22:33:00 GMT 2010

Dear All,

Wow, what a neat university, Kansas State is.  Beautiful campus, photo dept. now run by Armon Means.

In the two day gum workshop I got the pleasure of working with an HMI light for the first time. Never a dull moment when you do workshops in different setups.  I had never used this light source.  I completely judged exposure wrong and had to recalibrate several times, to an exposure of 2 minutes and a 7.5% dichromate.  At home I do 5 or 6 with UVBL.

The HMI (i think that is what it is; it is a very hot very bright sunlamp that is square?) would not be my first choice of light source but what the heck.  It was fast if very hot and very bright.  But what I found was that if I used this light source I might find clearing useful.  On my website I have a side by side of uncleared/cleared so you can see what I mean!

http://christinaanderson.visualserver.com/Text_page.cfm?pID=2076

Pot metabi did the trick of course, but I do much prefer UVBL.

Also, for the first time I taught with PVA at a 1+2 dilution on Rives BFK and nary a problem.  I use 1+2 on Artistico, but might use 1:1 on Rives if I used Rives.  Marek, you are a Godsend, thank you for sharing it.

And Marek, there was a woman who brought one of those squares of a gum print that was all overexposed and she was brilliant enough to bring the bleach with her, and we did your bleach trick.  Man, bleach will dissolve the entire gum print if given the chance, but what a GREAT 'nother tool to use when facing an overexposed print.

How much fun...

Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com