[alt-photo] Re: Alt-photo-process-list Digest, Vol 81, Issue 2

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Thu Mar 4 04:52:51 GMT 2010

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, walter wrote:

> Now, I'm going to mix up a bottle of saturated K-dichromate to keep
> that variable constant.  Have any of you used plastic bottles?  I'm
> having trouble finding brown glass bottles but the drug store gave me
> a couple of plastic ones used for dispensing cough syrup / liquid
> medication.  Would any of you seasoned gum printers recommend skipping
> that and ordering some glass ones?  I know where to get them but I'm
> sort of intensely trying to work out the printing methods right now
> and I don't want to wait the week or two for a delivery.

Theoretically, I suppose a plastic bottle could have imbibed some of
something it held previously.... even a new plastic bottle could
(perhaps??) absorb chemicals from its contents, or if not, maybe the
receptivity would change as the bottle aged.  Which may all be a
rationalization of my somehow feeling safer with glass:  I figure there
are so many variables I can't control (whatsisname used to claim what
color his shirt was that day... or like that ... was a variable), but I
anyway mention in passing that clear glass bottles are everywhere and
easily opacified with black paper or foil, or your cut up raincoat or
whatever can be wrapped around them.

Years ago I used to get brown glass bottles at good prices from Ginsberg
Scientific... tho I realize many of those great mail order sources are
gone with the snows of yesteryear.... My favorite from them was brown
glass DROPPER bottles in all sizes.  (Small amounts of solution keep
better in a smaller container... less air exposure per cell presumably.
True, I haven't tested that assumption, but still, less evaporation.)
Anyway, for small quantities, droppers are easiest, and no washing up
or spills.

Judy