[alt-photo] Re: PVA for SIZE & GUM ?

zphoto at montana.net zphoto at montana.net
Thu Mar 4 20:54:37 GMT 2010

Judy,
I did do the Stouffers and found that on Fabriano Artistico EW a 1+2
size gave a beautiful tonal range with UVBL, 6 min, magenta on
preshrunk paper.  The other dilutions were either overkill and shorter
tonal range/too slippery a surface for a good long tonal adherence or
not enough sizing and staining resulted.  This, of course, would be
different on BFK which is a much softer paper, or any paper for that
matter that is more of a printmaking paper and therefore nice and
absorbent.

But PVA is a cinch to teach in a workshop setting...

As far as PVA going out of availability, I still think it important to
share classic methods.  I am doing the pt/pd unit in my alt class
right now, and sure enough someone bought the classic/traditional
pt/pd kit instead of NA2, and luckily I was able to refer him to the
directions in my alt book because I chose to keep that method in there
instead of deleting it for the much preferred by me NA2 method.

I'll always keep glut or formalin hardened gelatin in my gum book.

Speaking of changes, Rives BFK used to be a great paper for
argyrotype, but this semester it has performed horribly.  Across the
board.  I will scan a BFK print of a students compared to exact same
everything on Weston and the difference is shocking.  Velvety
chocolate on Weston that looks good enough to eat.  On Rives, grey,
blotchy, and YUK.  So BFK must have changed something since 2003.

I just bought 250 sheets of the Weston (available from Zowkowski
directly).  It is a very inexpensive paper, too.
Chris