[alt-photo] Re: PVA for SIZE & GUM ?

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 4 20:58:56 GMT 2010

Hey Judy,

I'm not sure of your exact question, and I hesitate to even answer,
since I haven't actually been teaching gum for any length of time.
But I did teach a workshop very recently, and we used PVA.  I had a
handout, though, with instructions on how to also use gelatin/glyoxal
as a size, and talked about that-- but since I don't use it anymore
myself, I taught with the PVA. The only downside was that-- for people
who had never done any gum printing before-- I thought the prints were
actually very good.  Of course, that was a downside (only for me),
because I felt like I'd struggled mightily in the beginning stages of
learning to print gum-- just to get a damn image to come out.  And
here these folks were-- just making really nice prints, right off the
bat.  That seemed somehow all wrong to me.  If I had to struggle, I
figure everybody else should have to do so, too.  But I certainly
credit the PVA, and the ease of and success in using it-- more than my
teaching, for sure.  :)

Diana