[alt-photo] prints that leave our hands

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 5 20:34:31 GMT 2010

Hi Peter,

Well, do keep us posted on what happens when the PVA sits in the sun
or in the freezer.  The results will be interesting.

I always wonder what happens to my prints when they leave my hands,
too-- but not so much from a conservation viewpoint.  Some pinhole
friends of mine told me, about a year ago, that they were in an
"antique" store out in NM, and one of my prints was sitting up there--
all framed and matted-- for sale.  Sad, but true.  I have no idea who
originally bought it, and since I know I didn't sell it to anyone in
NM, I often wonder how it made its way out there.  I hope it had a
good trip.  I did ask if it had held up (it was a b&w hand-tinted
print, so I wondered if it was one of those I hadn't fixed long
enough) :)  But they said it looked great and still held up.  They at
least liked it enough to turn it over to see who had made it.  The
best part was-- the store was asking a higher price for it than I know
I had originally put on it.  So I felt good about that.  Still, there
it was-- sitting in some dark corner, far from its original home--
unsold.  And then I went to a charity auction once, and saw a
photograph hanging up for sale that I really liked.  I got right up on
it, and realized why I was so drawn to it.  It was mine.  So it seems
when people decide to clean out their homes, my prints are the first
to go.  On the other hand, the one I saw also still looked great-- no
fading and no yellowing. And since I was initially so drawn to it, at
least I like to think I have a consistent vision. :)