[alt-photo] Update: Vertical Banding in Prints Produced from Digital Negatives

Amy Holmes George amyhgeorge at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 00:19:06 GMT 2010

Whew, I am no longer seeing stripes!
Here's a follow-up on my recent encounter with the "Venetian Blind Effect" while making pt/pd prints from digital negatives on an Epson 3800. If you happen to experience this strange vertical banding of dark/light/dark/light—especially in high value areas of your prints—here's a few things to consider:
1. Set the Paper Thickness to 6 (Pictorico Ultra Premium OHP Transparency Film is 5.7 mil, but the default for Premium Photo Paper Glossy is 3 mil)
2. Set the Platen Gap to Standard (instead of Auto)
3. Change the Paper Feed Adjustment by increments of -5 until the vertical banding disappears (for me, the magic number was -30)
OK, now back to printing . . .
Amy Holmes George