[alt-photo] Re: PVA for SIZE & GUM ??+MSDS mystery broken

pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 8 02:32:50 GMT 2010

Joseph's link to the MSDS is a great help. The MSDS provides valuable
insight. From that, it is stated as being an Ethylene/Vinyl Acetate
Copolymer. This is a different animal than many of the acid free PVAs
we may find at the art store which are usually just PolyVinyl
acetate. They lack water resistance and that is good for book binding
so the work can be reversed with water/steam if need be.The Ethylene
makes it much more water resistant, improves adhesion, and increases
flexibility. This all makes sense to me. I tried a white wood glue
once (Elmers brand) and it did a very bad job, as water was slowly
absorbed by it and the paper went limp.

What we have in the Gamblin size is what is called VAE or Vinyl
Acetate Ethylene Copolymer. The higher flexibility allows it to flex
with fabric and water resistance is much better.

Bottom line is: you may get lucky to find a similar performing off
the shelf "white glue" as size but it seems like a real crap shoot.
Most will fail the water resistance requirement.

A good summary can be found on page  4 (second last paragraph on the
right column) of the book:

Solvent-free adhesives

 By T.E. Rolando

Google books link is: