[alt-photo] Re: Weston Diploma Parchment

Jon Reid jon at sharperstill.com
Tue Mar 9 11:06:37 GMT 2010

Eric,

"The use of a hair dry or other warm air stream, should be used with
caution around a pt/pd print as you know"
Well no, I don't know. As I said I was taught to give the coated
sheet a good going over, both sides, with warm air from a hair dryer
then rest to restore humidity.

"Also the type of ferric, FO vs AFO will also be a factor"
Mine is straight FO, from B&S, so far as I know. I kind of feel that
I have tested the FO. I gave it to a friend who produced a wonderful
pure palladium print on Cranes natural white wove, the same paper he
gave a few sheets of to me and I had success with.

"palladium solution with ammonium chloride instead of sodium." My
palladium solution is the pre-mixed variety from B&S. Sourcing these
sorts of chemicals is very difficult in Australia. One of our major
photographic suppliers has just stopped carrying all powder
chemistry, so even getting cheap citric acid is a chore. Hence my
reluctance to get stuff like potassium ferrocynide for a test.

I guess I was hoping a whole bunch of people would reply saying
'yeah, that paper is kinda crap' and I'd feel OK about trying
another. I quite like Platine but it is too heavy and white for this
series of photographs.

To Diana: I have always used a hair dryer on these prints, mostly on
cool setting until the other night when I switched to warm to really
dry the bejeesus out of it.

I guess my dilemma is to continue trying to nail the problem, if it
is indeed nailable or to switch to something else. I only get the
chance to print every fortnight or so, though I'm going to try and
make it weekly to make up for lost time. I'm not sure how much longer
I want to get this paper working right only to find I don't have
enough left for an edition! The Cranes natural white wove that I
tested on was quite nice though thinner than the Diploma Parchment
and therefore very weak when wet. I doubt I could get 11x14 easily in
Australia.

It's late here, I'm going to bed. Thanks to all list members for your
valuable suggestions.

Jon