[alt-photo] Re: a new old process

John Brewer john at johnbrewerphotography.com
Sat Mar 20 12:07:33 GMT 2010

Hi Alberto

Frederick Scott Archer patented a method of stripping collodion images from
glass so they could be transferred to other substrates such as cloth and
leather. I've been doing some research on Archer and a few weeks ago saw an
example on cloth at The National Media Museum, Bradford, UK which is thought
to be by Archer. As far as I know from talking to the curators this is the
only example in The NMM and Royal Photographic Society collections so wasn't
popular for some reason, maybe because there wasn't a need for it or was
difficult to do.

John.