[alt-photo] Re: pre-shrinking and PVA size

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 22 16:14:32 GMT 2010

Hi Henry,

Thanks for the update. That's really helpful.   I do remember first
attempting the PVA on Fabriano, and it offered up that plastic-like
coating, which you mention--  and which I just don't seem to get on
the Rives.  So I'm guessing it sort of sits up more on the surface of
the Fabriano, and perhaps sinks a little more into the Rives paper(?),
or is somehow absorbed differently with Rives.

I'm also guessing there's a lot more internal sizing in Fabriano than
with the Rives paper, so maybe that might make a difference, too (and
why you'd get patches that were difficult to coat on the Fabriano)--
especially since you didn't pre-shrink, and so didn't lose any of the
manufacturer's sizing.

I was really surprised by Paul's post-- which I read only briefly
yesterday, so maybe I need to go back and re-read that to ensure I got
it right-- but I was really surprised that he didn't have to size the
Rives and got no staining.

Anyway, I have some Fabriano here, so maybe I'll try that at your
dilution.  Thanks.

Diana