[alt-photo] Re: to shrink or not to shrink (registration)

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Mon Mar 22 18:36:05 GMT 2010

Hey, looks great, and beautifully registered.   A couple of
questions/comments:

(1) I assume your indigo isn't really indigo (PB 66, a fugitive
pigment no longer used in any watercolor paints) but one of the
mixtures of blue (a different blue in each case) with lamp black that
are currently marketed under the name "indigo" by several paint
manufacturers.  Or are you using powdered PB66?

(2) It will be interesting to see what your final print looks like
and whether you're happy with it.   I was looking at this as a
finished duotone, and found the ochre-brown cast very appealing, but
now that I realize (from another post that came in while I was
writing this) that you mean this to be the first two layers of an
(unsaturated) tricolor gum, I have different thoughts.  It  depends
entirely on what effect you're hoping to achieve, so this might work
perfectly for what you want to do, but in general if you're hoping to
finish with a somewhat neutral and somewhat realistic-ish color
balance, then you'd want the overall color cast of the print after
the second layer to be roughly the color complement of the third
layer.  But if that's not important to you, or if you're intending an
orangeish-brown final print (actually that might be cool, depending)
then it doesn't matter.
Katharine