[alt-photo] Re: new digital sensor

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Tue Mar 23 18:44:23 GMT 2010

>I have to believe there are enough people who would want 120 and
>large format film, that some small supplier will still make it.

As with all obsolete technologies, once an item is no longer in
sufficient demand to justify large-scale production, it will no
longer be produced using state-of-the-art facilities, techniques,
machinery, and quality control.  Unfortunately, film is very
demanding in all of these regards and does not lend itself well to
production by small suppliers.  So there may be product available
when the big boys quit, but it will be made on old, out-of-date
equipment in poor repair by people who cannot afford to do proper QC
-- and it will be very expensive because of the anti-economies of
small scale.  So you may be able to buy a roll of semi-fogged,
mis-slit film full of bubbles and dust for $30, but it won't be film
like we know it.

As for 120 and sheets being the last bastions of film -- recall that
Kodachrome was available in 35mm long after 120 and sheets were
gone.  There's so little sheet film being used today that most makers
only do occasional runs every several years.  I think it's safe to
say that 35mm will be the last format standing for film as we know it.

One of these days, someone may make a digital sensor package that
fits into existing roll-film cameras.

Best regards,

etienne