[alt-photo] Re: film and unused posts

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Wed Mar 24 08:12:14 GMT 2010

From: Diana Bloomfield <dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net>
Subject: [alt-photo] film and unused posts
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 23:58:01 -0400

> -- until they start
> making medium format digital cameras that are affordable to
> the average consumer.  They could do that now, but they won't.
> So until that becomes a reality, I'm guessing film for medium
> and large format cameras will be here for a while.  That's my
> thinking, and my last thought (and post) for the day. :)

I'm not too worried about supply of some b&w medium format
films in the immediate future, but I don't think inexpensive
medium format digital camera, or for that matter, inexpensive
full frame 35mm format digital camera, to be likely (tho, used
5D is kinda cheap now, relatively speaking). Manufacturing
of larger sensors is considerably more costly, compared to
APS-C size or smaller.

It's more likely to see smaller sensor cameras with noise
ninja and genuine fractals built in.

On the other hand, manufacturing cost of film grows less than
linearly with the image area. I think this is one advantage of
film, especially in the areas with demand for very shallow
depth of field or very high resolution.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)