[alt-photo] Re: "sustainable market for film"

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Wed Mar 24 14:21:59 GMT 2010

DEAR JUDY ET ALIA,
	Though many people are moving toward HD digital video in the movie
business (especially for special effects movies) many are quite conservative
and adore (quite rightly) that special look of shooting on color negative
and having release prints made.  Even if movies in the near future are
distributed digitally, many Directors of Photography will insist on
originating on color negative film.
	It is nothing to shoot hundreds of thousands of feet of film to make
one movie.  Until this dries up there will be some form of film being made.
	On my trip to Paris in Dec 2008 (to attend the FIE congress-I am a
fencing coach) I was amazed to see how many European
commercial/advertising/fashion photographers insisted on shooting film,
mostly medium format, then scanning their choices on order to Frotoshop and
FTP files to the magazines and clients.
		CHEERS!
			BOB