[alt-photo] Re: "sustainable market for film"

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Wed Mar 24 22:07:50 GMT 2010

From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss at caribsurf.com>
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: "sustainable market for film"
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:21:59 -0400

> 	It is nothing to shoot hundreds of thousands of feet of film to make
> one movie.  Until this dries up there will be some form of film being made.

As another example, look at 8mm and 16mm films. They are still
supplied by Fujifilm and others. 8mm film was quickly killed
in the consumer market by electronic video equipment but the
film is still available. But in order to do it, users are
forming some sort of a film co-op and making bulk purchases
directly from the manufacturer.

This is another reason why inefficiency of current
distribution and retail system is the weak point in the
current film photography industry.

> 	On my trip to Paris in Dec 2008 (to attend the FIE
> congress-I am a fencing coach) I was amazed to see how many
> European commercial/advertising/fashion photographers
> insisted on shooting film, mostly medium format, then
> scanning their choices on order to Frotoshop and FTP files
> to the magazines and clients.

Why do you think that is?

By the way, I finished my last bottle of Rhum Barbancourt last
month, and I'm thinking about changing. For relaxing times,
make it Mt Gay time.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)