[alt-photo] Re: acid paper

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 31 01:06:26 GMT 2010

Hi Judy,

Your comments certainly resonate with me.  I used Buxton, some years
ago, and thought it was really a spectacular paper-- seemed to just
respond so beautifully to both platinum and cyanotype-- but even back
then, the cost was fairly prohibitive.  I typically made small prints
with it, so I could stretch the paper as far as it would go.  I'm
pretty sure I have a couple of sheets left, too-- in the drawer with
the platinum I have left.

And, in fact, it has not gone down in price.  A couple of places in NY
(Talas and NY Central Art Supply) still sell it, I believe-- or at
least they did several months ago-- and the price has actually gone up
substantially-- if you can believe that.  The last time I saw it
listed, one sheet was well over $20.  And, yeah, if the paper is the
most expensive part of your process, it doesn't leave much room for
experimentation, or-- heaven forbid-- mistakes.  I assumed they raised
the price so much, because of the shipping costs and the relatively
small market??  I'm guessing they just don't want to make it anymore.

Chris, as far as I know, Buxton has always been called Ruscombe Mills
Buxton here, not Ashton-- unless that's a different paper they also
make.  I've never seen it listed like that anywhere.

Diana