[alt-photo] Don't take the brown FAC!

Trevor Cunningham trevor at chalkjockeys.com
Tue May 4 13:49:31 GMT 2010

Hey gang,

Well, after a long wait, I finally have chemistry for gum and
cyanotype...or so I think. I opened my FAC and discovered that it looked
VERY brown. After mixing according to the traditional cyanotype in
alternativephotography.com, it doesn't have that iridescence I remember,
and the dried emulsion is brown. I haven't exposed one yet because my
sun decided to hide for the rest of the day's useful light. In the
Unblinking Eye, there's mention that the brown FAC is less sensitive and
has a lower tonal range than the green. Should I be making an effort to
reduce contrast? Any suggestions as to how I might alter the solutions
to compensate? Something tells me I'm going to have to really dial in a
specific curve for this ride.

Trevor