[alt-photo] Re: metallic/chromo/gold/halochrome/Seigel/Dalla Tana

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Wed May 5 13:59:38 GMT 2010

Alberto,

Correction to below.  Here is Dalla Tana's description in English.  I'm still working this out, as you can tell.

"Two chemical formulas, which I invented, are used for developing: basic develop and golden develop.
In a first step we use base formula, gently painting gold (or, as Alberto says, is actually gently brushing the print) in the develop from 10 to 15 minutes. Then we lift the board and let the print drain.
In the second step, put back the print on its horizontal position and use a new brush in golden develop which, touching the first formula, will immediately give a golden reaction.
Once reached the desired result, we can go to acetic acid dipping and fixing.
Now we turn on the light. We will notice that the whole sheet of paper, includeing borders, has a colour dominance given by used develops.
After we clean borders of each image with an iron-cyanide solution, we rinse the print under current water, we put it back in fixing for 5 minutes and, at last, we wash it for an hour."

The gold part does not come from the first brush and drain part, it comes in the second, he says.  And I think I understand/figured out--"cleaning the borders with an iron cyanide solution"--doesn't he mean he is bleaching the borders with potassium ferricyanide?
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com