[alt-photo] Re: Making ammonium iron(III) citrate and ammonium iron(III) oxalate

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Mon May 10 02:54:01 GMT 2010

Hi Loris,

I was going to post this earlier but time was
unavailable to transcribe this from my notes:
Here is what I do for the production of making
ferric ammonium citrate(green) FAC(green):

Firstly, you need to produce a precipitate of
ferric hydroxide from a ferric salt. This is the
messy part of the process. I find that the salt
can take the form of a sulfate, or chloride, and
even a double salt such as ferric ammonium
sulfate. Iron salts of citrates do not seem to
precipitate well so I do not use them. I use
Ferric chloride because it is for me, a readily
available reasonable priced copper etchant which
is at a strength of 42 degree baume and can be
bought through various sources such as electronic
and etchant supply houses. Of course the iron
salt chosen must be of the ferric form, and not
ferrous, unless you wish to go through an additional oxidation step.

The ferric is neutralized with sodium hydroxide
but you can use ammonia, or even sodium
carbonate. The bostick and sullivan web site has
details on this messy process of precipitating
and washing for the production of ferric oxalate
-they use a different iron salt I believe.

Basically, I start out with the following quantities:

100ml 43 deg baume Ferric chloride etchant solution
45g pre-dissolved sodium hydroxide in about 2
litres water (ice cubes added during dissolution)
50g Ammonium bicarbonate
100g Citric acid
(Makes about 700 ml of a 20% solution of green FAC:)

The ferric chloride is added to a 10 litre
container, mixed well, and the sodium hydroxide
solution stirred in gradually. Once all is mixed,
it is left to rest for an hour or so and
decanted. You should do this several times. After
all of this, strain through a thin but strong
thin cloth or sheet -polyester is good for this. Squeeze out any excess water.

After the messy precipitation and washing
process, I end up with roughly 650 ml of a ferric
precipitate with the consistency of thick yogurt
(somewhat clumpy)I add all of the ammonium
bicarbonate to the ferric mud and mix it well to
dissolve. It is important to add this ammonium
bicarbonate before the citric acid if you want
the green variety of FAC. It well get cold so you
may need to warm it, then add about half (slowly)
of the citric acid and stir. I use a tall
container for this as it will bubble up quite a
bit and produce some mist. I now transfer this
muddy mix to a tall SS pot and warm it on a stove
burner, slowly adding the remaining citric acid.
Once all of the fizz has ended, I slowly heat it
up to about 70 deg C with constant stirring.
Every few minutes I dab a drop from the solution
on to a blotting paper or paper towel and check
for the amount of hydroxide since the hydroxide
will form a brown spot in the center of this drop
with a transparent ring that will slowly go from
yellow to a light green. Over the course of about
10-15 minutes, the liquid will transform to a
dark emerald green as seen through several
centimeters of depth. It is about 20% w/v
strength but can vary a little depending on how
much water was squeezed out of the ferric mud.

I preserve the liquid with crushed aspirin
(500mg) (ASA) added warm and filtered out after a
cool down to room temperature to a final clear
solution. Leaving it to decant is another more
patient approach. It will keep without mould
formation. The ASA is not very soluble in water
so it does not become a significant impurity and
I have not noticed any measurable negative effect
on performance. The salicylate in the aspirin is
a phenol and mould will avoid it. Store in brown
glass or other non metallic container. It will keep for a very long time.

Precautions: Careful if using the Sodium
hydroxide and dissolve it into water with ice
cubes to absorb heat. Further, some acidic fumes
will evaporate off during heating up to 70 C but
since citric acid is a weak acid, the fumes are
not that acrid, of course good ventilation is good practice.

The final pH typically ends up around 4, and the
FAC(green) solution when spread on cleaned glass
will dry to a glassy film and will not crystallize and this is to be expected.

Peter Friedrichsen