[alt-photo] Re: HYDROSCOPIC!

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 01:19:47 GMT 2010

Bob,

My two cents from the chemistry perspective are similar to Ryuji's. Ammonium thiocyanate is a complexing agent for gold. It is a common problem for gold toners to keep gold in solution for prolonged periods of time. ANd while the thiocyanate bases toners are faily stable, they will eventually plate the gold in the bottle loosing their potency. They are best used just after the addition of gold. Get a batch of prints and tone them all at one session. I kept a bottle of a thiocyanate toner for yers and it had a lot of gold sediment in it.

You can just add more gold to replenish the toner, as all other reagents are in large acess.

It really matters little if you add 25 or 50 grams of solid ammonium thiocyanate(I actually have not tried that, so final judgement is in the experiment), but have used thicyanate gold toners exstensively in my silver B&W past. Interestingly enough just before final collapse of B&W chemistry Agfa introduced a silver image stabilizer that was thiocyanate based, but I did not really follow that and I think Agfa dropped their silver B&W chemistry. So perhaps both components can act to stabilize silver image, but gold will also change the colour

The toner might be sensitive to the presence of fixers, so an extensive wash might be necessary to prolong its life, maybe somebody else might comment. But if you are using it in a batch mode, that is add gold and tone a bunch of prints at one time it might not matter a lot. Let us know in any event.

Marek