[alt-photo] Re: HYDROSCOPIC!

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon May 10 22:02:24 GMT 2010

Dear Bob,

I bet ammonium thiocyanate is there as a ligand for gold, and
for this purpose, thiocyanate in this formula is in excess. If
I were to make a small bet (well, that's less than $10 worth
of gold, I guess :-), the amount of ammonium thiocyanate is
not critical.

Also, ammonium thiocyanate is not used as an alkaline agent in
this formula. I don't think pH would be a good assay for
it. If anything, I think specific gravity would be more
useful. If you can measure specific gravity of, say, 25%
solution, and adjust your stock to match that value, I think
it'd be close enough for your purpose.

Ryuji

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"The essence of the beautiful is unity in variety." (Felix Mendelssohn)