[alt-photo] Re: tintype

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Wed Nov 3 14:38:57 GMT 2010

Yes, Etienne,
You are right, the Rockland kit is not "real" tintype but liquid emulsion.

I should have also clarified that the thiocyanate or the thiosufite as it may be is mixed IN the developer along with the other two. In other words, none of the three solutions are used to fix, they are all mixed together and used to develop. Fixer is separate.

I know from chromo that the thiocyanate is the chemical responsible for essentially fogging the paper in the absence of room light (according to Jolly) so my guess is the mixture of the three chemicals is responsible for fogging and producing that characteristic milky/brown tone on the modern tintype.

However, I still cannot find if it is a 50% am thio or 5% sod thiosulfite. That is what I am interested in.

Some make-do tintype developers just tell you to mix exhausted paper fixer into the dektol as well.

I have a call into Rockloid and also an email but no response yet.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com