[alt-photo] Re: tintype

Vedos vedos at samk.fi
Fri Nov 5 09:51:41 GMT 2010

Hi,
Collodion is not non-permeable during the process because it is kept wet. That's why the process is wet plate collodion, it doesn't work if the collodion dries. The plate is not "essentially dry" during fixing -- it is very wet. The normal method is to rinse the plate after developing, and then immediately fix the plate.

For a fixer, sodium or ammonium thiosulfate is perfectly fine... there's no reason to use potassium cyanide, especially for negatives, but for ambrotypes cyanide will introduce a little more punch, they say...

Best regards,
Jalo

-- If you only look at what is, you might never attain what could be --

V E D O S
Alternative Photographic Processes
Satakunta University of Applied Sciences
vedos at samk.fi
http://vedos.samk.fi
http://www.samk.fi