[alt-photo] a large-format horizontal enlarger with tilt shift mechanism?

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Sun Nov 28 22:51:43 GMT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to make a projector for a very large screen. I
thought about modifying a slide projector or an overhead
projector, as there are many in used market very
inexpensively, but I realized that the same is true for
enlargers, and I have several 150mm, 180mm and 210mm Componon
and EL-Nikkor in my storage (anyone wants to buy some?). I
think the advantage of an enlarger is easy access to replace
the light source. I intend to use a xenon discharge flash. The
projector is used to expose still photographic images and the
source needs not be continuous light.

Since I want the image to be rectangle, but there may not be
perfect flexibility in placing the enlarger in relation to the
fixed screen. I wonder if any enlarger has shift capability (I
think most have tilt capability).

If I can find a horizontal 8x10 or 5x7 enlarger inexpensively,
I may use that, but otherwise, I plan to modify my Durst
Laborator 138.

Now, my flash tubes (boty Elinchrom and Dynalite heads I have)
come with a 140 degree reflector. One question is whether this
works well with the condenser system. Another possibility is
to use a bare bulb tube, which is more like a point source,
but considerably bigger in size than the halogen filament
bulbs used in point source heads, and the glass is clear not
opal unlike regular enlarger bulbs.  (I want the projected
image to be reasonably uniform.)

Another question is printing the film to project. I intend to
prepare the image "film" by printing 5x7 transparencies with
inkjet printer, as that's the size of my enlarger unit. I
don't intend to print anything larger, so prefer small printer
that's low maintenance. What would be a good printer and film
for this purpose? I think the discussion I saw on this list
are more concerned about printers capable of A3 or larger, but
I do not want a big device. The image will be enlarged 5x to
20x, and probably onto a rear projection screen.

Incidentally, overhead projectors tend to use fresnel lens
rather than convex lens in condenser, and I don't like to see
those concentric lines, so that's another reason for enlarger
or possibly slide projector. But making 35mm slides from JPEG
is PITA, so perhaps LF enlarger is the best option for me.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)