[alt-photo] Re: a large-format horizontal enlarger with tilt shift mechanism?

Ryuji Suzuki rs at silvergrain.org
Mon Nov 29 01:46:02 GMT 2010

From: "Gordon J. Holtslander" <gjh at shaw.ca>
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: a large-format horizontal enlarger with tilt shift mechanism?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:34:03 -0600

> If you are interested in making an enlarger device with shifts
> and tilts, why not start with a view camera and modify it?
> Maybe its only necessary to modify a film holder and add
> something to hold a flash bubl in place and contain the light
> it emits to the "enlarger"

I thought about it, but without a diffusion or condenser
system, I think the illuminance of the projected image will be
uneven, because the light incident on the film plane would
have different angles from the center to periphery. That's why
we have a condenser in most enlargers for b&w use, and fresnel
lens in practically all modern overhead projectors. Perhaps I
could use a large parabolic reflector for this purpose. Maybe
Richard Knoppow can add something to this.

> What size negatives are you working with?

The size is rather unimportant, as I plan to make them on
transparent film using an inkjet printer as needed (much of
the images will be digitally mastered files scanned from
medium format negatives). Plus, I'd be using a positive film
to project. I'm planning to use this "slide projector" on a
rear projection screen to make a studio photography
background. In other words, I am trying to make a studio space
with a static background image on which I can manipulate
foreground independently. It's typically done in old
movies. In modern days, green screen chromakey and Photoshop
work became more common, but I think if I could make a
projector with xenon discharge flash work, with an Elinchrom
or Profoto power control (1/10 stop increment) it would be
very easy to work with.

Ryuji

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." (Miles Davis)