[alt-photo] Re: Flatter than pure palladium?

Jon Reid jon at sharperstill.com
Wed Oct 6 03:44:08 GMT 2010

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies so far.

@ Etienne. I don't understand what you mean by contrast masks and a google
search didn't really help with anything in the context of printing in this
manner. Could you explain what you mean.

My thought, which I will try this weekend, would be to create a mask with
ruby-lith and try to gove the area additional exposure, though the top right
corner will be tricky..
As for reducing the negative I will reserve this as a last resort.

@ Judy. I have used flashing for enlarged silver printing before but didn't
know it was also viable for platinum printing. I am imagining however that
this might result in lowering the tone of the billboard area to below pure
white but not necessarily resulting in that area displaying detail. Would
this be the case? The billboard is covered in vertical ribs as seen at
right.

@ Mark. I'm confused by the tone of your response. I'm using black light
tubes in a home made exposure box, Bostick and Sullivans FO. I'm using
sodium citrate over KOx because it is less warm, although I am unaware of
any major contrast difference.
Solution strengths in use? Normal, made as per my original workshop notes or
the Sullivan and Weese book.

I'm not particularly experienced with Pt/Pd, having attended one workshop
and read two books. Throughout this I have come to believe that pure
palladium was the flattest 'mix' available. Correct me if I'm wrong. I get
the feeling that this neg is perhaps beyond any little incremental contrast
changes that solution temperature or strength could bring. I'm the first to
admit that I might be wrong however my gut tells me I'll need to use a mask
or burning in method.

Thanks again everyone.

Jon

--