[alt-photo] RES: Re: One-coat temperaprint

Rafael Frota theesilvermtzion at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 22:03:28 GMT 2010

Alex
It´s a  great honour talk to you. Let me explain
I´m doing some experiences with light sensitive emulsions, looking for a
cheap and easy method for "printmaking without a press".
Temperaprint has all the qualities for this porpouse. Here in Brazil we
don’t have too much access to many features and we have to improvise.
Everything here is expensive.
I have 2 kinds of works: photogravures and drawings. For the drawing, I use
a scratched transparency, and for photos I use halftone screen (100lpi).
I need to print these negatives in a paper using a cheap process like
temperaprint. But I need do it in a single coat.
As I use "trace negatives" (hatch and dots) I don´t need tones but only one
solid and deep black.
I use a negatoscope as UV light source. For a pale black, it´s about 20 min.
For a strong black, I didn´t get it even in 1h! When I wash the paper (using
the foam roller), the emulsion is washed away letting only a ghost. The
emulsion is too delicate to wash with the roller but too heavy to use a
spray bottle.
So, is there any way to make a dense black? About 3h sun exposure? :))

Thanx a LOT!

Rafael Frota
www.rafaelfrota.com