[alt-photo] applying VDB etc. emulsions

Ken Sinclair photo1 at telusplanet.net
Tue Oct 12 01:30:09 GMT 2010

For years I have been applying Cyanotype, VDB etc emulsions to the
paper with either
a hake brush, a sponge brush or a 2 inch watercolour 'flat'.

Recently, I seem to be getting a somewhat  uneven application
resulting in the more than
occasional 'darker line' along the 'length' of the paper which seems
to be evident after brushing
across and somewhat obvious before exposure...    but is not that
apparent after exposure and
processing when the print come out of the final wash.

Since I apply the emulsion to several sheets at a time, I do not have
an accurate account of the
volume I have been applying for either 4x5 or 8x10 prints since I use
a small container for
the 'batch'.

I am now changing over to a glass 'puddle pusher' and would
appreciate some advice on the
volume either in ml or 'drops' for both 4x5 and 8x10 negatives.

TIA

Ken

Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)