[alt-photo] Re: applying VDB etc. emulsions

david drake photo ddrakephoto at casadrake.ca
Tue Oct 12 02:03:14 GMT 2010

Ken,
The puddle pusher works great in that you get an even coating and use
less sensitizer but your negatives have to be a consistent size  (to
match up with the negative) or else you end up with massive borders.
I measure out the sensitizer into a shot glass and then pour onto the
paper. That way there is a consistency of amount. The amount is
relative to the type of paper and the humidity of the room/paper; it's
something you just have to figure out for yourself, overt time.
However, when I use a brush, it should only take around 10-15 seconds
to brush on or I'm using too much sensitizer.
I have been using 0.5 ml for a 6 x 7 inch area (Arches Platine paper
in 50% humidity) . Less is better.

david