[alt-photo] Re: applying VDB etc. emulsions

Earl and Patty Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 09:45:22 GMT 2010

Following Mike Ware's recommendations, for argyrotype or cyanotype I use a small plastic syringe to measure and apply the sensitizer - 3.0 to 3.2 ml is just right to coat an area 10.5" x 14.5" on 11x15 paper. The glass rod is 10.5" long. The syringe allows me to deposit a consistent bead of sensitizer across the sheet just in front of the glass rod. I like to use just enough sensitizer that 5 passes almost uses up all of the liquid (3 down, 2 up). The last pass I pull the little left over bead of sensitizer onto the blue masking tape at the bottom of the sheet, where I can swipe it with a paper towel. This coating gives me room to place an 8x10" negative along with a 31 step Stouffer wedge. With a glass rod, the coating defects are usually out at the ends of the rod, or at the beginning or end of the pass, so I like to make sure that I have coated sufficiently outside my printing area. If I am using gold toner, I cut the border off the sheet before it goes into the toner, so I don't tone more than I need to.

Different papers use different amounts. Humidity makes a difference, as does the use of Tween in the mix.

Earl Johnson