[alt-photo] Re: I know, another sizing question

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 10 14:50:54 GMT 2010

My results with Elmers PVAc have been
unsuccessful since,as Loris points out, it will
not resist water and will fail as a size.

I did some digging some time ago (an earlier
post) and found that the Gamblin PVAc is a
chemically modified beast that greatly improves
water resistance of standard PVAc, so it works.
Trial and error runs from paint/hardware store
products may eventually yield success as Loris
has found, but even if you luck upon the right
PVAc type, you still have to deal with the
unknowns of the ageing of a sizing from a product
with unknown composition and pH.

Re Casein as size

I haven't used it as a size but I do know it will
form a  very water resistant coating once
hardened with Glyoxal or Formaldehyde. These
hardened films are a little more brittle than
gelatin films, and the films forma mat finish
with may provide more tooth good or bad.

I think if you had a source of sodium caseinate
powder, then it may be worth experimenting, but
to precipitate the casein from skim milk every
time you need to size would be more effort than
it is worth unless there were some clear
advantages in terms of performance or
convenience. The only clear advantage I can see
off the top is that the caseinate solution is
liquid at room temperature and avoids the warming step of gelatin sizing.

Re whey

As was mentioned, the whey (clear solution) that
is left over after the casein is filtered out
also contains hardenable protein but it is mixed
with lots of lactose and other impurities. I know
you can purchase purified whey protein isolate
which is used in foodstuffs and as a body
building powder. From what I understand it
suffers from poor adhesion and forms a film that
is brittle and flaky but I have never tried this
as a sizing.  It does have the advantage that it
is very soluble in water and you can make 50%
solutions without too much viscosity.-kind of like gum arabic in this regard.

Peter Friedrichsen