[alt-photo] Re: I know, another sizing question

Keith Gerling keith.gerling at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 19:51:05 GMT 2010

I print on wood panels and so in order to make a conventional print I have
to make it white (although gum on bare wood works pretty good).  Typically,
I use gesso and size with PVA or gelatin. With milk paint I can coat the
wood and it does not need sizing, so it is killing two birds with one
stone.  I use it selectively because it (the purchased paint) is rather
glossy.  It looks great for some applications, though.    Once I complete
the work for a looming show, I intend to play around with making the paint
from scratch and, if necessary, kill the gloss with additives.

Certainly you could use any of the other colors.  The glossy surface does
not absorb the emulsion as much as some surfaces, so it does bead up a bit.
However, with continued brushing an even surface can be obtained.

The paint is quite thick.  If I were using paper, I would experiment with
diluting the paint considerably.

Keith