[alt-photo] Re: no shrink, no size tricolor gums

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue Sep 14 17:35:48 GMT 2010

Maybe it's a paper / surface issue? I use (was using actually)
gelatin sizing, strength 3%, hardened with formaldehyde, now I use PVA
glue (hightlights clear much faster)...

BTW, since I don't use negatives specifically calibrated for gum
dichromate (I use cyanotype negatives for gum), my criterion isn't the
merging of the first two steps in a step tablet test; I just aim to
find a pigment/dichromate/exposure combination that gives me empty /
clear specular highlights after 30 minutes still water development,
that's all. I start with the highlights, and build up density (in the
shadows) with subsequent layers. I never tried to calibrate digital
negatives for gum so that I will have a perfect single layer print;
that doesn't make sense to me, since I work in multiple layers and
prefer (much) to use gum's flexibility in order to achieve my goal...

Regards,
Loris.