[alt-photo] Re: casein image

Peter Blackburn blackburnap at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:22:04 GMT 2011

Christina:

You mention mechanical development. I also enjoy that type of interaction with the print and it can be done fairly easily with casein. One way I work with the image is to slightly overexpose the print and then, after a few minutes of soaking to remove the excess dichromate, I implement a variety of bristle brushes dipped in straight ammonia and "chisel" the image out of the emulsion. It takes a little while, but what fun! Just place a fan in a position to draw the fumes away from you. I also can pour boiling water over the print and manipulate the image with brushes in the same way. The advantage is that one can be quite aggressive in the handling of a casein print without the fear of ruining it. Gum can be so—what's the word—wimpy, when it comes to handling. Casein is like heaven for the "hands on" artist. Most of the time I just do straight development—actually I like the "panning method" of development for both gum and casein. It's a real rush watching the image appear out of the murk and mire.

For the record, I have never been able to flake a casein print. I suppose it could be done by using an extremely heavy pigment load or unusually high casein ratio.

You, I believe, size the paper with gelatin whereas I use AKD. Sizing techniques will probably play a significant role as to how the casein print can be manipulated as well.

Anyway, I'm rooting for your four students! Guinea pigs? Nah—trailblazers! GO FOR IT!

Enjoy your day.

Peter