[alt-photo] Re: Casein source

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Apr 12 17:59:57 GMT 2011

Alberto,
When you say "last a week" do you mean it was no longer usable or just stunk? Did it no longer respond to dichromate hardening and UV light?
It calls to mind how they used to let gum sour so it was quicker acting, back in the late 1800s.
My ammonium caseinate was ready to use essentially within a couple hours. There is no smell whatsoever, except for a slight milk odor. Very user friendly. Sodium less so. 24 hours later my sodium caseinate is like a very concentrated rubbery gelatin solution that I would have to liquify before use. I have absolutely no idea why the big difference between the two forms of casein. Maybe you can clarify?
I am not interested in a process using ammonia fumes, really just looking for one that is whip 'n' go. The quicker and easier the better it is for students (and me), hence a little bottle of liquid casein or a jar of powdered casein would be just so...convenient.
Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com