[alt-photo] Re: casein

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Fri Apr 29 17:13:43 GMT 2011

Don,

>> It will take more time than it is required by the alkalinity of the solution
>> to break the casein molecula. I prefer to use it in a few days from the
>> preparation, or to keep it -tightly capped- in the refrigerator.
>>

> Why?

Casein is a protein that could be defined as a natural polymer produced by
the reaction of many amino acids.
The acid group of a molecule reacts with the amino group of a second, etc.
These links can be (more or less easily) broken by OH- ions, such as those
from aqueous ammonia or sodium hydroxide.
The temperature, as usual, helps this reaction, hence the low temperatures
delay it.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/wp/photographers/rodolfo-namias-group