[alt-photo] Re: urgent gum clearing question

Julian Smart juliansmart at virginmedia.com
Fri Aug 19 21:34:18 GMT 2011

Hi Loris,

Thanks for replying.

Just after I posted, I read this very article and immediately felt a bit dim
for not having done a web search first!

I did try the Sodium Sulphite at a 5% solution and found it cleared the
paper base in the image area to its original tone- ie off white (Fab
Artistico 300gsm, HP). Clearing took around 15 minutes- I was a bit wary of
leaving the print in for too long as the print edges outside the image area,
where the pigment had built up, began to feel slightly soft and slimy. They
would scratch, but gentle rubbing with a finger had no effect. I played safe
and removed the prints (one to a tray) when I felt enough clearing had taken
place.

Job done!

Cheers,
Julian.