[alt-photo] Re: ECONOMICS OF TONING

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 25 19:59:36 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Gerling" <keith.gerling at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:01 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: ECONOMICS OF TONING

> Timely post, as gold has been selling off lately, but is
> by no means cheap.
>
> I have no expertise in toning, but I do find it ironic
> that so many people
> want to sepia, or brown-town a silver-gelatin print, but
> when confronted
> with a brown or sepia VanDyke, argyrotype, etc., the first
> inclination is to
> blacken it with gold-toning.

     I think toning was used in the days before cheap and
easy color photography as a sort of substitute for color.
Sepia or other brown tones, or even very warm tone paper,
mimics skin color better than neutral black and other colors
were used for various kinds of scenes, especially by
pictorialists. While the modern eye tends to equate sepia
with antique pictures I rather think it was not so much
because older pictures were toned as it is because they have
stained. I think some non-silver prints may have had brown
or other colors but certainly POP and similar processes were
often toned with gold which produces a neutral or slightly
blue black.
     Toning and tinting was common in motion pictures,
especially in the silent era, to set moods or establish time
of day. It was almost completely discontinued after the
introduction of photographic sound. Kodak made tinted print
stock suitable for sound but toning might still be a problem
because the toned sound tracks might not reproduce
correctly.
     I am not sure when the use of certain toners to protect
images began. The main cause of image degradation now is
atmospheric polution and that was at a far lower level
before, say WW-2 than it became later. I think many snap
shots processed by photofinishers have survived because they
were _not_ washed to the archival standards of the time so
that the image was protected to some extent by small amounts
of residual hypo. This effect was unknown until about 1961.
I think the use of gold toning for microfilm dates back some
time but if I ever saw a date I can't remember it.
     POP is generally toned before fixing. The fixer tends
to bleach out some of the silver image as well as removing
the excess halide. Gold toner will selectivly tone the
metallic silver but most toners commonly used for
silver-gelatin emulsions will tone halide as readily as
metallic silver. There are probably suitable toners using
materials other than gold, I am sure I've seen toner
formulas for platinum, but I am not sufficiently
knowledgable about chemistry to know how to compound them.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com