[alt-photo] Re: unimportant casein factoid

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Sat Aug 27 17:13:10 GMT 2011

Keith,
You are luckier than I. I had to throw oodles of my pigment mixes out. Either they precipitated hardened chunks of casein, or they went "off" and smelled horrible, so I obviously did not add enough thymol. The casein I got from Kremer is still fine, just the solution I mixed up from powdered casein went bad. It only tells me, therefore, to mix up a small amount at once and then add pigments at time of use.

Definitely the solutions lost viscosity before they went bad, though.

BTW the first mentions of casein all have to do with suspending silver nitrate in the colloid. Have to read further to differentiate. But in the meantime I came across a great little article where Beattie, I think, said that Pouncy was the true originator of the carbon process with his 1858 patent, even though the carbon practitioners went to transfer, etc. Kinda cute. Poor Pouncy.

But all this reading is coming in the way of getting back into the dimroom :)
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com