[alt-photo] Re: bottom-weighting mats

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 1 16:50:37 GMT 2011

Hi Tom,

I had an exhibit, back in March, where everything I had was in some
alt process, and the gallery owner wanted me to display it all without
glass, so I did.  He felt that so much of the work is lost through
glass, except if you use museum glass, I guess, but who can afford
that.  Anyway, everything was fine-- no problems with damage or
anything (though that is the risk).  And, honestly, it's the first
time that I can ever remember where people were, throughout the
opening, actually looking at the work, and asking me detailed
questions about the process I used.  With some alt processes, I tend
to give the shortened version of any printing method, simply because I
don't think anybody really wants to hear details (except, possibly, a
gallery owner)-- but there were so many people who really wanted to
know specifics and just seemed genuinely interested.  I have to
believe that having no glass (essentially, no barrier to seeing the
work) helped tremendously with that.  Not that eliminating glass
translated into work flying off the walls and innumerable red dots--
it didn't-- but it was gratifying to see people seriously looking,
rather than just standing around with their backs to the work,
drinking wine and socializing-- which is what I often see at art
openings.  So  I was pleasantly surprised.  I'm not sure how often I
would eliminate glass, but I am always on the lookout for ways to
print without glass or mats at all, though I do think floating frames
tend to look good with the kinds of papers we often use.

Anyway . . . sorry-- you directed your question to Laura, I know-- but
the no-glass option compelled me to comment.

Diana