[alt-photo] Re: bottom-weighting mats

Laura V laura at lavatop.com
Thu Dec 1 18:57:50 GMT 2011

On 12/1/11 16:50 PM, Diana Bloomfield wrote:

> Anyway . . . sorry-- you directed your question to Laura, I know-- but
> the no-glass option compelled me to comment.

No problem, and I totally agree that our work (any work on paper really)
looks much better without glass. The last time I exhibited, it was
without glass (I did it mainly to save money though). The prints were
matted, but only with single thickness on the back so they did buckle a
bit, and a couple of them had even jumped off the wall when I arrived on
the next day. Tomas, how did you hang your unmatted works?

Anyway, back to glass for protection...I would recommend it for long
term display. A painting on canvas is much more durable, humidity
resistant and easier to clean than a work on paper. Works on paper are
just more fragile.

Tomas, your question about whether a very small mat is just as good as a
wide one...I suppose it works just as well to keep the glass from
touching the print. The only question is whether the wood from a wooden
frame would contribute acid to the print being in such close proximity,
and I don't know the answer. Probably a question for an archivist.

Laura