[alt-photo] Re: bottom-weighting mats

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 1 18:19:17 GMT 2011

Yes, that was my only issue, really-- keeping things flat.  But for
the month or so that they were on display, they did really well. The
gallery seemed to offer consistent temperature (no humidity
fluctuations), which helped.  I was also surprised they were so clean
at the end.  The gallery owner felt as you and I do, too, that the
prints are (also) so much about the paper, the tactile quality, etc--
that to hide them with glass was, essentially, to lose that.  This was
a two-person show, and I showed with a printmaker (mezzotints mostly),
and he didn't use glass, either-- and we all really felt it made such
a difference.  I honestly have never seen such an engaged crowd.  I
suspect a lot of galleries won't do it, because they're afraid of
damage, but painters don't typically put glass over everything, and I
assume their work isn't constantly damaged because of it.

And, sometimes, if the gallery doesn't keep the glass clean (which is
too often the case), it's like looking at prints through a dirty car
window.  I showed work, many years ago now, at this really really nice
gallery-- very high-end-- and I noticed, at the opening, that -- I
swear-- it looked like someone had eaten honey buns or Little Debbies,
or something, and then put their sticky fingers all over the glass, or
talked and spit all over it..  It was awful, and I was horrified,
especially because I knew I'd handed them over in pristine condition.
So I said something, very nicely, to one of the women working there
(I'm sure I was real popular)-- and they said, "Yeah, well, we'll
clean it if we have a chance."  I mean, this was awful looking.  So I
asked for some Windex and went over and cleaned it all myself.  It was
at the start of the opening, so not yet many people-- but, good grief.