[alt-photo] Sizing Problem and ?

Johnny Brian limnidytis at netins.net
Tue Dec 6 01:45:49 GMT 2011

In the last few months, I've been learning to make gum prints. In the beginning I printed on unsized paper to simplify the process. I made some progress so I decided that I should size the paper before I started printing multiple layers. I tried a number of papers but settled on Arches Platine. I sized a couple of small pieces with 3% gelatin/glyoxal and printed on them - I didn't see much difference with a one layer print - but at least no detrimental effects.  So I sized about 20 pieces of 11x15 pieces of paper. However, once I printed, the paper now prints with very flat muddy midtones and there are speckles (freckles) of color in the midtones. I've printed several different pieces, it all seems to be the same. I've also printed on some unsized paper and it prints what I consider "normal" - not that I'm any expert. It seems that something must have gone wrong with the sizing. I'm looking for advice about what to do to salvage the paper - if possible. Any collective advice would be appreciated before I begin experimenting on my own. Is it possible to remove the sizing by soaking in hot water, or should I try applying a new coat of sizing on top of the old sizing? Below is how I sized the paper -

Sizing - I made 250 ml of 3% - 7.5gm 250 bloom gelatin from B&S in 250 ml distilled water. I allowed the gelatin to soak about an hour and then heated it slowly on the stove until it dissolved. I didn't check the temperature - I stopped heating when it appeared that all of the granules were dissolved. I put the solution in a big insulated sippy cup and added 5ml glyoxal and stirred to mix. Applied gelatin with a sponge brush and allowed to dry for several days.

Thanks for any help,
Johnny Brian