[alt-photo] Re: Sizing Problem and ?

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Tue Dec 6 14:10:31 GMT 2011

Johnny,
I once sized a batch of paper outside in the garage with gelatin that was too cold by the time I got to the last sheets, and boy was that a PITA. I ended up cutting off sections and discarding the parts that were unevenly sized.

However, my experience with glyoxal is similar to your description. I found it felt...for want of a better word...crystally/grabby on the surface, and it speckled. I abandoned it for glutaraldehyde which sizes very smoothly. I also like formaldehyde very much but in my environment, cold in the winter, I have to hang it to dry in my house and it outgasses so badly that my eyes sting in the room the sheets are hanging. I could size with it in the summer just fine. No need to do so now because glut works for me better.

BTW I know Don Bryant sizes just fine with glyoxal as I have used some of his sized sheets so I don't blame glyoxal per se, just the way I work with it.

You have described speckles of color which leads me to believe that staining is happening on the paper where sizing is not, probably on the topmost fibers sticking up that did not get sized enough. If the speckles are in the depressions of the paper that may be another cause.

I might suggest you size again with another layer of glyoxal gelatin to even out the coating. OR you could buy some Gamblin PVA and give the paper a light coat of that on top of the already sized paper, mixed 1+2 water, to try to get by the issue. Try it on one sheet.

Alternately, see if your exposure may be too long.

Diagnosing gum problems via email is always like shooting buckshot into the air. Maybe one suggestion will stick. I get students with these unusual problems and I have to literally watch them gum print to determine the cause. For instance, one student had severely stained highlights. Lo and behold, one of her three negs was a positive. Another coated the paper too roughly. Another used too much dichromate. One, who had layers that never stuck, she thought the stock pigment mix had dichromate mixed in already and never bothered to add dichromate. I've seen it all...in fact, I have compiled a list of these possible mistakes that I will include in the gum book because some are just too funny. And then some produced wonderful gum prints because of the mistakes.

But sizing is the biggest PITA if there is an error in process because it crops up later in masked ways.

Maybe this helps, maybe it is another issue entirely.
Chris

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com