[alt-photo] QTR calibration and more printer weirdness

Joseph Smigiel smieglitz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 21:54:53 GMT 2011

I'm attempting to calibrate an Epson Pro 4900 for use with Quadtone
RIP, but I am getting some unexpected results in the very earliest
stages of the procedure.  When I printed the calibration image
(inkseparation10.tif) onto Pictorico OHP, I expected to see a step
wedge for each ink with a stepped transition from highlights through
the shadows, but in different colors for each ink line.  Instead, the
resulting negative has abrupt changes in color and density within each
ink line and the Photo Black ink line is kinda yellow.

The black ink also starts to pool at about the 50 density patch as do
magenta and yellow.  Light cyan has 3 steps cyan and then goes
purplish.  Similarly , yellow starts out OK then goes navy, light
magenta goes gray and the other inks (except orange) go blank after
several steps.  Orange seems to be the only ink printing as I
expected.
I've posted the results online in my Tumblr account
(http://www.tumblr.com/blog/smieglitz) and the following URL will take
you directly to a scan of the the image:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvwd10GXKt1qmnn9io1_500.jpg

Can anyone experienced with QTR have a look and give me a clue as to
what might be causing this  behavior?

FWIW, the QTR calibration dialog box is set to 100% ink, using Photo
Black ink, and I’ve slowed the printer to unidirectional.  I haven’t
changed the TIFF file status although I am working with a copy of the
original.  (There are also some streaks in the transparency where the
ink pooled and I sopped it up after an hour in order to scan it.)

Any help appreciated.  Thanks,

Joe